What Causes Infertility?Patient Education
Definition: The International Committee for Monitoring Assisted Reproductive Technologies, ICMART, defines infertility as “a disease characterized by the failure to establish a clinical pregnancy after 12 months of regular, unprotected sexual intercourse, or due to an impairment of a person’s capacity to reproduce either as an individual or with her/his partner.”
Infertility is much more common than you think:
Source: National Fertility Association RESOLVE
What are common causes of infertility in men?
- Congenital disorders
- Localized Physical Trauma
Sperm Production Disorders
- Sperm production problems
- Endocrine disorders
- Antisperm antibodies
What are common causes of infertility in women?
Ovarian Function (ovaries)
- Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)
- Functional hypothalamic amenorrhea (FHA)
- Diminished ovarian reserve (DOR)
- Primary ovarian insufficiency (POI)
Tubal Patency (Fallopian tubes)
Risk factors for blocked fallopian tubes:
- History of pelvic infection
- History of ruptured appendicitis
- History of gonorrhea or chlamydia
- Known endometriosis
- History of abdominal surgery
- Past infection
- Uterine Fibroids
Ph: (480) 270-6700
Fax: (480) 270-6701
9015 E Pima Center Pkwy #3
Scottsdale AZ 85258
Major crossroads: Pima Road & The 101 Freeway
If you have a medical emergency outside of our hours, please contact a medical center or dial 911.
Click here to learn about handling and disposing of expired, damaged and unusable medications.